Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Not Gross...

Today I was talking with a friend, and the fact that I cloth diaper part time came into conversation. Her initial response was "That's gross", to which I replied "No way". But I remember back to the days before I discovered the truths and ease of cloth diapering and at that time, I also thought it was gross. With Dylan, my first, I used disposables...or "sposies", as I like to call them. Every week, without fail, I would spend roughly $15-$19 on a box of diapers. I remember buying those diapers grudgingly, but it was something we had to have. By the time I was pregnant with Hayden I found a wonderful local mommies group and met many different types of ladies. Over time, many of those ladies introduced me to different ways of living(cloth diapering, cleaning without chemicals, buying local and organic when possible, etc)...and in the beginning I shrugged it all off to them being "odd"...but after I listened and learned more I realized their way's of doing things weren't so "odd".

Around the time Hayden was 5 months I decided cloth diapering was something I wanted to look into...especially after hearing about the hundreds of dollars I could save in the long run and the terrible effect of disposables on the environment. I had always envisioned cloth diapering as using the old-school pins and prefold diaper, with the horrible plastic pants... so I was surprised to see the cute different types of diapers available, and to learn that no pins were needed! (Though I will admit that as a veteran cloth diapering mommy, I almost always use the old school prefolds now.) I was also nervous about the cleanliness factor...especially come poop time...but it was simple for me since Hayden had solid poop-because after a poop, you just plop the poop in the toilet, and then throw the diaper in with the rest of the dirty diapers. And the dirty diapers stay in a zippered wetbag until wash time...so no stink taking over the house!

Honestly, I could blog pages on my love of cloth diapering...but its one of those things you just have to try for yourself to understand. Despite your opinion on it, you cant deny the cuteness of a cute cloth covered bum....so Ill leave you with a few pictures of Hayden clad in some of our favorite diapers.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

For all the same reasons, we're going cloth with the second one, too...whenever that may be!